here are your april desktops. i kind of forgot about this month until some contacted me looking for april – thank you! as you can tell from looking out my window spring is not quite here in connecticut yet, but the yellow desktop does brighten things up a bit.
if you get the Letter C newsletter, you have already seen this, but if not, i thought i should let you know that this month when you purchase a set of 3 mix&match travel notebooks and you will get a free set of 6 coordinating folded notecards. the extra cards are great to keep on hand or go ahead and give them as a gift to a loved one. no code necessary. offer valid until 3/31/15.
also, there’s some new mix&match patterns available on you can get on your notecards, notebooks and address labels. there’s also some new colors to choose from – including chic black & white.
binders are one of my favorite organizational tools. regular (letter-size) binders are great for storing paperwork but for everyday i use a mini binder. they are easier to carry around and take up less desk space.
in the past i used a single hole punch to add the holes. i thought about buying a 3-ring punch for mini binders, but then i discovered my 3-ring hole punch has movable dies – money saved and one less thing to keep around.just take a screwdriver (or a butterknife) and unscrew the screw under the die; slide it to the correct hole and screw it back in. repeat on the other side. mark a line where the end of the smaller paper should stop so you don’t have to guess each time. punch paper. done.
this photo was taken at my house and the family photo is of my mom and her family from 50 years ago. the other two photos are from my grandma – from when she was 17 and maybe 70. the one on top makes me laugh. she looks just like mrs. doubtfire. it was one of her favorite movies, but every time i called her mrs. doubtfire she thought i was nuts … have you seen the movie? it’s like they are long lost twins (click on the photo to make it larger).
i have a friend who i talk probably too much about tv with. we have a rotating set of shows that we feel we need to discuss the day after we watch it. last year i got her hooked on House of Cards. the problem is neither of us have the control to watch just one show a day, so it’s not that easy to recap. this year we decided we just have to binge watch the second half of it together – this way we can go over the play by play live.
here’s how we plan on accomplishing it.
1. this sunday has been marked as our binge watch day. we figured we can get through 7, maybe 8 episodes. this means we both have to get through 5 or 6 episodes between friday and saturday. i’ll get through a few today while i make items and package orders and a couple on saturday.
2. the binge watching will be at my house since my friend has a husband and teenager who are going to want stuff from her. i believe a partial white lie might have been told by her about our plans for the day, but whatever works.
3. it will be a day of comfort. yoga pants, fleece, slippers and lots of blankets. the blankets are mostly for my friend since i keep my house at what i am told is an unacceptable temperature. my glasses will be ready for when my contacts become dry from staring at the screen.
4. there will be plenty of coffee to start off the day. the food will be easy prepare ahead food. like veggies & dip and nachos. the nachos are going to be made with salsa i made last fall and is marked in my freezer as “wicked good”. i don’t remember what is so wicked about it, but i have been saving it for something special. i hope my labeling holds up.
5. half way through we are planning a walk around the neighborhood. it’s going to be cold out, but i figure the fresh air, sunlight and movement will do us good.
if you’re planning on the same this weekend, happy viewing.
it’s been awhile since i did a little round up of what’s been going on here. here is the start of my 2015.
it took me some time, but i finally decided on my 2015 calendars and planners.
1. patterned wall calendars – i’ll be using one of these for both my house and my office. i usually use a kraft calendar in my office, but i’m going a little crazy and adding color this year.
2. kraft monthly planner – this planner is how i keep track of when bills are due. it’s a good size to clip in the one bill i actually have to pay by check – plus the lines on the side help me keep track of what i owe.
3. weekly planner sheets – the weekly planner is what i use daily and this was the option i kept changing my mind on. it was between these sheets and the kraft weekly planner. i plan in general and not daily, so each week i make a list on the lined pages of what i want to get done – adding things as the come up. on the weekly part i will write down any hard deadlines, appointments, meetings and birthdays. since i use the lined pages more than the weekly pages i put the holes on the opposite side than the sheets were designed for. using a mini binder works better for me than the already spiral bound planner because i like the flexibility of adding in more sheets on really busy weeks.
4. stick any where calendars and mini calendars – this year i am going a different route than i have in the past couple of years for planning for big projects. i’m testing out a new size spiral notebook that has lined pages on one side and the dot grid on the other side. with this i’m going to be using the fill in the date sticker calendars. this gives me the flexibility to use a notebook for each major project.
hope your off to a great start with your 2015 planning.
if you still need an actual calendar or planner there are still plenty in the shop. to get 2015 started right, use the coupon code “2015” to save 20% off your order of $15 or more. the code will be good until january 3, 2015.
happy december. here’s a new desktop for you.
this week i have a new view. my computer and desk is set up on the my huge counter island in what i call the work room. i have taken over the building conference room with my packing station. and all this moving around is so the first room can be set up for the pop-up shop this weekend. it’s a mess right now, but in a couple days the shelves will be stocked, a christmas tree will be hung and it will smell great because of the olga bobbi soap. if you’re near by hopefully you can stop in.